Ten Principles of Global Ethics and World Citizenship
The World Constitution and Parliament Association (WCPA)
The Earth Federation Institute.org
- Dialogue. A World Citizen develops the capacity for dialogue directed toward mutual understanding. This includes the ability to listen carefully to others, to thoughtfully understand their point of view, and to celebrate the process of increasing mutual understanding. We also discern the dishonest, divisive speech of oppression and injustice.
- Nonviolence. A World Citizen affirms the principle of solving conflicts nonviolently. As Mahatma Gandhi stated, there are dozens of ways to solve conflicts creatively and intelligently, respecting everyone involved. World Citizens promote creative, nonviolent problem-solving, as well as critical analysis of all systems of oppression and exploitation.
- Human Rights. World Citizens affirm universal human rights and dignity. All people have dignity because all people participate in the miracle that is human life. We human beings are self-aware beings capable of freedom, creativity, compassion, and justice. We have dignity that must not be violated. World Citizens stand by the rights enumerated by the Earth Constitution, Articles 12 and 13, which include key environmental and peace rights.
- Democratic Laws. World Citizens affirm the rule of just, democratic laws based on protection of civil liberties and human rights. They support substantial economic and political equality, freedom, and equal due process before the law for everyone on Earth.
- Compassion and Kindness. World Citizens understand that reason and dialogue must be complemented by compassion and kindness. World Citizens are sensitive to the suffering of other people and animals. They act toward others out of kindness and compassion. In Buddhism this is called In Christianity, it is called agape. In Islam it is salam.
- Unity in Diversity. World Citizens understand that the world is a wonderful manifestation of unity in diversity that must be respected and encouraged. We are all one as human beings and as children of the divine, and we are all different from one another in races, cultures, beliefs, nations, and religions. We affirm this principle of unity in diversity for the entire Earth.
- Justice–making. World Citizens insist on equal treatment and due process of justice for all persons before the law. If laws are unjust, World Citizens work to change them to protect everyone equally. Where people are being marginalized, hurt, or discriminated against, World Citizens side with the victims. We dismantle all systems of war and injustice.
- Sustainability. World Citizens are committed to transforming the process of living on the Earth to sustainable, ecologically friendly forms of economics, production, consumption, and patterns of living. World Citizens are committed to making the Earth a decent place for future generations through protecting and restoring our planetary environment.
- Global Education. World Citizens are committed to promoting global education with respect to all these ten principles. People everywhere should be developing global consciousness and global responsibility. We take direct responsibility for the Earth and its future. The essential way to act on our responsibility is to ratify the Earth Constitution.
- The Earth Constitution. World Citizens understand that none of these 10 principles can be successful for the Earth without the rule of democratically legislated, enforceable law for everyone under the Constitution for the Federation of Earth: